Friday, July 27, 2012

“Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown.”

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

"It begins with absence and desire
It begins with blood and fear
It begins with a discovery of witches."

Deborah Harkness exploded onto the literary scene with her debut novel, A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy and an international publishing phenomenon. The novel introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches’ cliffhanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew’s old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

My Thoughts

OMG!! I loved this book. I'm in love with this series. Really can't wait for the third book to come out. I love Matthew and Diana. I'm so glad they were able to work out all their secrets and able to still love at each other even when they went back in time. I really couldn't stand Kit, he needs to get over himself. Phillipe, Matthew's dad, was really a great character, I really like him. I was very happy to see that he finally accepted Diana as she is and offers his protection for her. I really don't get the whole science aspect but I really enjoyed the history value. I'm really glad Diana is able to finally figure out who she is and accepts her firedrake, Matthew is the same way where he thinks he needs to find the Ashmole 782 to find out who he is but all he needs to do is look inside himself. I definitely could read this series again and I plan on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment